In 1920 Berlin architect and building contractor Georg Heyer buys the area of an old brickyard that lies - accessible via the lake dam - opposite of Neuruppins urban core on the east side of Lake Ruppin. One year later - following plans by Max Eckardt and Otto Bartning - the construction of a cooperative organized life-reformist residential community that should be inhabited by craftsmen, artists and architects begins. Its name "Gildenhall", given by Heyer, should remind of the heydays of craftmanship in Germany during the medieval period. In 1925 250 people live and work in the settlement, among them the architects Max Eckardt, Heinrich Westphal and Adolf Meyer, the sculptor Hans Lehmann-Borges, the ceramist Richard Mutz, the weavers Else Mögelin and Henni Jensch, the woodturner Eberhard Schrammen and the blacksmith Siegfried Prütz. Committed to the ideals of the Deutscher Werkbund (German Association of Craftsmen) and the Bauhaus, the goal to produce affordable everyday products, which are nevertheless shaped by a ambitious handicraft design, is shared among the inhabitants of Gildenhall.
Until in 1929 the settlement-project becomes a victim of the global economic crisis and from now own is not only part of the City of Neuruppin but also its property, it is mainly the architect Heinrich Westphal who - based on the planning of Erckardt und Bartning - pushes the constructional growth of Gildenhall. His buildings, like those of the other life-reform-ist settlers in general, are to be found primarily north of the lake dam. But during this time some estates planed by anonymous architects also arise in the south. Even though they don't show traces of the "Neues Bauen" like their neighbors by Eckardt, Bartning and Westphal and certainly do not come along as modern as the terraced houses in the settlement Törten by Walter Gropius, they share especially with the said the pronounced parceling into elongated plots, which is due to the idea of self-sufficiency and the possibility to extend the core building with additional structure such as stables or storage space into the depth of the plot. Divided into semi-detached houses, each parcel is equipped with a two-storied core-house and a connected functional building from where the individual units get extended over the centuries. Today a wide range of types of extension can be found in the settlement which are now less used for self-supply and small animal husbandry but predominantly for housing.
The basic setup of the house had a windscreen placed in the front, the outhouse got extended into depth by another living space and a flying roof, which hosts storage space for garden equipment and firewood. For quite a while no one called this a home. Now a family from Neuruppin - parents with two kids - want to live here. c/o now suggests keeping the core-house in its previous style, to renovate and upgrade it and to finally split it between the two kids. The annexes, differently executed in heights and qualitative-wise low, ought to be replaced by a new building, accommodating a generous living-kitchen and rooms for the parents. Alongside the property line, next to the neighboring house, a service layer is introduced, which includes a new staircase, the kitchen itself, the bathrooms and storage space. The new building will be erected as concrete construction with partial inside insulation, whereas the watertight reinforced concrete ceiling rests on the monolithic outer walls. At the crossover towards the core house the service layer pushes through the reinforced concrete ceiling as a stair-trunk and connects the upper floor of the old structure with the new building. The drainage of the concrete roof is lead towards a waterspout that at the same time forms a rain shelter at the entrance of the new building.